- > Show & Shine
- > July '16 Winner
July '16 Winner
Congratulations to Richard Stone for winning our July show and shine. After a long drawn out wait for his new Magnetic Grey Ford Focus RS, Richard found himself needing to correct a number of minor paint defects before protecting his new pride and joy. He duly broke out his RUPES BigFoot and set to work, before then moving on to protect the exterior of the car with GYEON coatings. To finish things off, Richard spent a few hours making some lovely images of the car in a number of different settings ...
"After a nine-month wait, made worse by reading endless positive reviews, the day finally came when I was able to pick up my new Focus RS in Magnetic Grey. In the run up to the collection I asked the dealer to do the bare minimum of preparation work for the PDI check, hoping that this would result in very few defects being inflicted prior to the handover. Unfortunately, as it turned out, I was still going to have to perform some corrective polishing…
Once home, I proceeded to detail the car as follows. Firstly, I soaked the car with GYEON Q2M IRON in order to safely dissolve all of the iron particles picked up during the journey from the manufacturing plant to my house. This lead to the majority of the paving underneath the car turning purple from the iron-rich run off! After the IRON had finished reacting, I rinsed it off with my pressure washer and then foamed the car with Auto Finesse Avalanche.
While the snow foam was dwelling, I cleaned the window seals, badges and plastic trims with Auto Finesse Citrus Power and Auto Finesse Boar Hair Detailing brushes. The car was then rinsed again and washed from the top down using the two bucket method with Nanolex Pure Shampoo. I was surprised (and slightly frightened) by how rough the paint still felt at this stage; clearly there was still a fair amount of contamination present.
The sills and skirts were cleaned with a strong degreaser to remove the last remains of some transport wax. Using the wash bucket for lubrication, I then rubbed down the bodywork using a fine-grade Atomiza Clay Towel. This left the paint feeling silky smooth, and inflicted minimal marring in the process. The car was then rinsed one final time, dried off using a combination of a Microfiber Madness Dry Me Crazy Towels and an air blower, and moved into my garage.
Once under the spot lights it became immediately obvious that the overcast weather outside had hidden the true condition of the paint. The soft light outside had masked a number of defects in the clearcoat. I found buffer trails on the off-side rear wing, a long scratch on the front bumper and various scratches on the leading edge of the roof. I used a PB Paint Thickness Gauge to measure the depth of the paint, especially around the areas where I had found defects, to ensure that there was sufficient paint available for corrective polishing by machine.
I masked off all of the trims using 3M High Performance Masking Tape and set to work. Initially I tackled the defects with a Meguiar's DA Microfibre Cutting Pad and Meguiar's DA Microfibre Correction Compound, using my RUPES BigFoot. Once I was happy that the defects were gone, I refined the finish using SCHOLL Concepts S40 and a Lake County Hydro-tech Finishing Pad, starting with moderate pressure and then reducing it as the polish broke down. GYEON Q2M PREP was then used for a final wipe down to remove any residual polishing oils and produce a perfect base for the paint protection to come.
As this car will be my daily driver I wanted to use a paint protection system with increased hardness and durability. As a result, I settled on GYEON Q2 MOHS topped with GYEON Q2 BOOSTER. I find that using BOOSTER on top of MOHS gives it that certain something while increasing the beading strength of the finish significantly. I applied three coats of MOHS, leaving an hour between each, and then left the resulting finish to cure overnight before applying the BOOSTER the following morning. The car was then left inside to continue curing for a further twenty-four hours.
Finishing up with the little details, the engine compartment was degreased, rinsed, dried with an air blower and then treated with 303 Aerospace Protectant. GYEON Q2 TRIM was used on the rear diffuser and front splitter to protect the plastics present. The dashboard and door cards were wiped down with a damp microfibre, the seats and carpets were brushed and vacuumed, and then treated with 303 High-Tech Fabric Guard. Finally, I spent a few hours capturing some nice images in a variety of locations. I just hope they do justice to the finish!"